Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Chapter 25 - My Everything

You are my everything
Nothing your love won't bring
My life is yours alone
The only love I've ever known 
Your spirit pulls me through
When nothing else will do
Every night I pray, on bended knee
That you will always be my everything


ALTHEA RYZ FAJARDO

"Congratulations Dr. Fajardo. You're seven weeks pregnant!" Dr. Wu, my colleague who is an OB-Gyn resident told me after showing me my ultrasound results. I delayed my sonography for a week as I originally planned since I was not ready yet.

I just smiled at her. "Thanks."

"So who's the lucky dad?" she asked.

"Uhm, let's just keep it as a secret."

She gave me the I'm-so-curious look but just let it go. She handed me my results and I left her office. I filed a leave this day because my mom would arrive today. I went directly to the airport to fetch my mom. It would be her first time in this country and for sure she would get lost if I didn't get her.


I hopped on the train and sat beside three teenage girls. They were watching pictures on their iPad and were giggling - spazzing would be the right term to use. They were looking at the teaser pictures of Super Junior. I saw Donghae's teaser last night when it was released and seeing it made my heart ache instead of the usual euphoria. 


"Kyuhyun-oppa is so hot!" the girl beside me said, trying to contain her shout.


Kyu biased... Yeah, Kyuhyun is too hot in this comeback. He's showing his toned abs already despite the scars from the accident. I felt happy actually to see him confident to show his body unlike before.


"Heenim is freakin' cute! His comeback would really be daebak!" the other girl exclaimed.


Yeah... Since he came back from military service, he's been working hard for this comeback so Petals are really excited to see him perform again.


"Donghae-oppa is damn amazing! I was like crying last night when his teaser photo was revealed! Oppa! Marry me!" the last girl was like expressing all of her emotions and was about to cry already.


I bit my lip to stop myself from crying with her. I knew I would look crazy if I suddenly cry with no apparent reason. A few seconds later, I finally arrived at the airport. I headed to terminal two and waited at the arrival area for my mom. Few minutes later, I finally saw her. She walked towards me and hugged me tight. 


"Welcome to Singapore mom," I told her.


She broke the hug and cupped my face. "How are you? Did you sleep well?"


"I'm fine mom. Just got my ultrasound result." I handed her the papers and she looked at it.


"Seven weeks. What are your plans now?"


"I'm keeping this child."


"Won't you tell me who the father is? You should tell me."


"Let's have lunch first."


I got her luggage and we headed to The Shoppes at Marina Bay Sands. We went to Todai restaurant and ordered some Filipino dishes which my mom would surely love to eat.


"So," my mom started the conversation after getting our orders. "Who's the father of your child and where is he now?"


"Mom, let's eat first."


"No, tell me who's this guy?"


I sighed. "I met him at the cruise."


"What?! You had sex with someone you just met?!"


"Mom, your voice!"


She lowered her voice. "Are you insane, Althea?!"


"Mom, I just met him but I know him," I explained calmly.


"Fine. So who is he?"


"Donghae."


"I'm talking about serious matters here. Stop kidding me."


"I'm telling you the truth, mom."


"What?! Fine. So he left you?!"


"No, I left him."


"Oh my God. I never knew I had a stupid daughter."


"I have my reasons mom. I can't be with him."


"I thought you're in love with this Korean celebrity?"


"I am. And that's why I'm doing this."


"So he has no idea you're having his child?"


I nodded. She sighed in disbelief. But then, she held my hand.


"I'm your mom but you're already old enough to make decisions so I respect them. I will stay with you and continue to support you. So you really have no plan to tell him?"


"I will tell him. At the right time."


I will surely let him know. But not right now... Not yet...


^__^


KEVIN CHANG


It has been six months since that most memorable cruise in my life.


I miss Althea badly but she's already with Donghae and I'm pretty sure she's happy with him. Since returning from the cruise, I have kept myself busy. I've launched a new project for the company and been to various countries in Asia to market my newest launched product. It was also my own way of moving on and forgetting about Althea.


I've been stuck at my office day and night reviewing all the data for the product management. I've never been this workaholic so my body is not adapting well. I've had frequent migraine attacks and just took pain killers to ease the pain. But now, the pain is already intolerable so I decided to go to a hospital for a checkup. I didn't consult the company physician because I don't like him.


I arrived at the hospital early in the morning to finish early. I headed to the Out-Patient Department (OPD) and was glad to see less patients waiting. After the front desk got my basic profile, I sat on the hospital's couch and read the magazines displayed for the patients.


I felt relaxed while reading when I saw a pregnant lady doctor walking past me. At first I thought she looked familiar but as I looked at her closely, I realized who she really was.


"Althea!" he name just came out of my mouth. She stopped walking and looked at my direction.


"Kevin?" she responded. 


I was shocked to see her... pregnant.


I stood up and went to her.


"Hi, long time no see," I greeted her.


"Good to see you again, Kev."


"So, how are you now? You're... pregnant."


"I'm fine. How about you?"


"I'm fine. It seems you and Donghae are starting your family. I'm glad."


She just smiled. I felt something's not right.


"Let's have dinner together. I mean, you, me and Donghae. I wanted to meet both of you again."


"Actually... I'm not with Donghae."


"What? What do you mean?"


"He's in Seoul and we're not together."


"Huh?! So who's child -"


"It's his but -"


"He LEFT you?!" He realized that he was almost shouting so he toned down her voice.


"Please don't misunderstand. I was the one who left him."


"But why?"


"You know why. You even told me before."


I remembered when I told her not to fall for him. It seemed she loves him too much that she'd rather sacrifice herself. 


Since that day, I swore to myself to take good care of her. I promised to stay with her eventhough she doesn't love me the way I do. I took care of myself more because I knew I was the only one who could do the same for her. I visited her often at her dorm and in the hospital. We often went out as friends as I knew we could only be like that. I may look stupid but for her, I would do anything.


About three months after I saw her again, it was already the Super Show concert in Singapore. I knew about this basically because of her, she told me everything about Super Junior and I continued to listen despite the pain I felt when she mentions Donghae's name. All the media and the fans are hyped to meet their "oppas" again in the country. 


Althea chose not to watch the concert because she knew it would not be good for her condition being pregnant. I stayed with her at her house, waiting for updates on the phenomenal concert. Super Junior arrived at 10 in the morning and all the fans were waiting at the airport. She laughed at the news and told me her experience of watching a Super Junior concert. At about two in the afternoon, she complained that her uterine contractions are increasing in intensity already and that she is starting to be in labor.


"Oh my God, Althea! I should bring you to the hospital now!" I panicked.


Althea's mom arrived from buying groceries and was shocked to see me panicking while Althea was just relaxed at the couch.


"Are you in labor now, Althea?" he mom asked her.


"Yes, mom. I'm timing my contractions. I will tell you guys if we should go."


She stood up and kept walking back and forth while feeling her tummy and looking at the clock. After an hour, she stopped walking.


"Oh no. My bag just broke. We need to go now."


I never knew what has really happened but all I could remember was I hurriedly placed all the things needed at the car. Then I assisted Althea to the car with her mom. In about 15 minutes, we arrived at the hospital and Althea went in. I was so worried while waiting outside the Delivery Room even if I wasn't the father of that child. I was worried about Althea and the child. 


I felt a hand on my shoulder. It was Althea's mom.


"Hey, calm down. She will be alright."


I smiled at her and sat on the chair. I never knew giving birth would take too long.


At about eight in the evening, the doctor went out of the room.


"Are you the husband of Dr. Fajardo? Congratulations! It's a healthy baby boy! The mother and the child are well and they will be transferred to the room in an hour."


It felt that my heart just went out of my chest and my soul just ascended to heaven.  Ironically, Althea gave birth on the same hour, the concert started.


After an hour, Althea with her baby boy arrived at the room. She looked exhausted yet the smile on her face relaxed my mind for I knew she was truly happy. 


"What will you name him?" her mother asked.


"Aiden... Aiden Fajardo."




1 comment:

  1. WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!! i should be one of the ninangs!!!!!! looooool
    But it would've been epic to deliver at the concert. Sorry ;P

    ReplyDelete